Instructions for Installing 3' Level Picket Fence
1. Stake out the fence line
2. Space and mark the postholes
3. Standard spacing will be 69" between the inside surface of the posts.
4. Example: Post--------69"--------Post
5. Dig the holes for the posts at least 30" deep or below the frost line in your area.
6. When using a 4" x 4" post you will need a 10" diameter hole.
7. The spacing between the surfaces of the post should be 69".
8. If installing on an incline, measure 69" on a level plane and then plum down to establish the post location.
9. Place the post into the hole along with 4" of dirt or gravel and square and plum the post.
10. Insert the second post into the hole and square and plum the post.
11. Note - if starting with an end post tape the ends of the rails. This will prevent the rails from filling with concrete as every end post is later reinforced with concrete and rebar.
12. Begin assembling the fence by inserting the bottom rail into the first post.
13. Now insert the other end of the rail into the second post.
14. The bottom rail must be inserted past the center of the first post to allow insertion of the rail into the second post.
15. Continue to install the posts and rails until all posts are secured in concrete.
16. The fence may need to be supported until the concrete sets.
17. Set blocks or boards under the bottom rails until the concrete sets.
18. Once all posts are set, go back to where your first post was installed and insert the top rails.
19. The top rail must be inserted past the center of the first post to allow insertion of the rail into the second post.
20. Both ends of the rails are factory crimped and will snap into place.
21. Follow these instructions until all the top and bottom rails are installed.
22. It is now time to install the rebar into the end posts and fill with concrete.
23. Begin to install the 7/8" x 3" pickets.
24. Slide each picket through the top rail and down into the bottom rail. Note: The crimped end of the picket goes toward the bottom and locks into the lower rail.
25. Install picket caps into installed pickets. Placing a small amount of PVC cement on the caps and inserting into each picket will accomplish this.
26. The final step is to install your post caps. Placing a small amount of PVC cement on the caps and installing on the posts will complete the job.